Ballinakill/Derrybrien is an ancient parish dating back to the time of St. Patrick. The church is on an elevated site overlooking the countryside of South-East Galway and on the Clare border. For four hundred years, the Carthusians had a church in the parish - the ruins of the church can be seen in the cemetery grounds. The present church was completed in 1894 and renovated in 1973.
The church of St. Patrick in Derrybrien - the other church in our parish was completed in 1894. Tradition tells us that Saint Patrick himself visited this parish on one of his evngelising journeys.